A month of work that I didn’t write about

Gah!  There it is.  Staring me in the face.  September 13 is the last post, and the calendar on the wall informs me that it is the evening of October 20th.  No excuse.  🙂  Just lazy.

So what’s been going on?  Lots of stuff.  Last I wrote we were kinda waiting for the weather to clear so that we could start harvesting.  Well, harvesting is over.  Took us about 3 weeks or so, including days when the rain popped back up.  Thanks to all the water falling from the sky at the end of August and beginning of September, the harvesting was muddy.

It’s not so bad when the mud is on a straight-away, but the corners are where the combine runs into trouble.  To help we were using sheets of plywood and putting them around the corners so the combine wouldn’t sink or get stuck trying to turn.

For the most part, though, things went rather smoothly.

Harvesting went a little something like this.  For 2 days we’d harvesting the rice using the combine.  We would drive it up and down the field, cutting the rice, taking the seeds and then spitting out the cut rice stalks behind it.  A finished field would look like this:

Notice walking alongside the combine is Chino.  When harvesting she will follow the combine up and down the field catching whatever critter jumps out of the way, be it a grasshopper, frog, mouse, or snake.  The grasshoppers she eats.  The other things she’ll play with…until they’re dead.  She works just as hard, if not harder, than we do.  🙂

Once we’ve filled up the little rice catcher on the combine, we’ll unload it into the carrier truck:

Once the truck is filled, I drive it to the family house where the dryer is.  Then I unload it into the dryer where the rice will be…uh…dried.

We can store about 9 truckloads of rice in the dryers and the mini-silos that are at the family house.  Once those are all full, then we have to take a day or two to shuck the rice and bag it.  To do that we have a nice little machine:

The harvested rice goes in on the left side there, cycles through, and then is spit out into the bag in the foreground.  Each bag is 30 kilograms, which is around 66 pounds.  Once the bag is full we stack them in the garage for storage.

Most of the rice we send off to JA (the Japan Agricultural Association, which is a government run co-op that buys rice) or to private customers.  Usually we sell both organic and non-organic rice throughout the year.  But this year we were really lucky in that one of our customers (a local Sado conveyor-belt sushi restaurant) ordered all our non-organic rice.  I guess they had been having a good year and were running out of rice, so they bought everything we had (which wasn’t going to JA).  Yay for us.  So this year, all we have for sale is organic.

Anyway, that’s what I’ve been doing for the past month or so.  We finished harvesting last week, and since then have been cleaning up the machines and organizing the farmhouse (it gets rather messy during harvest).

I promise to write a new entry within the next week.  If I do not, those of you who actually read this (maybe 4 people? 5?) have permission to smack me upside my head next time you see me. 😉

2 thoughts on “A month of work that I didn’t write about

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s